The attack on the World Trade Centre in New York City on the 11th of September 2001 resulted in the deaths of 2996 people.
In response to that attack, we in the west have unleashed our military might on Muslims around the world.
We have killed hundreds of thousands of people.
We have destroyed countless homes.
We have locked up 1000s of men in numerous prisons and subjected them to torture.
As of Friday 13 September in solidarity with the 166 men still held in Guantanamo Bay Naval Base and thousands more held in other prisons, members and supporters of Veterans For Peace UK will be fasting every Friday from 0600 to 1800 (no food).
Those taking part will wear an orange wristband and attempt to engage people they meet during the day about Guantanamo Bay and the wider injustices of the so called “War on Terror”.
If you would like to take part;
- Add your name, home town and when you will be fasting to the comments section below.
- Buy or make yourself an orange wristband.
- On Fridays fast from 0600 to 1800 (no food) wearing your orange wristband.
- Be ready to engage in conversation about Guantanamo Bay and the wider injustices of the so-called “War on Terror”.
- Email a picture of yourself wearing the wristband during your fast at an interesting place in your town to firstname.lastname@example.org.