VFP UK condemns the drone assassination strike conducted by the U.S.A. government and military in Iraq on Friday 3 January 2020 and strongly urges the UK Government to do the same.
Following Friday’s assassination of Qassem Soleimani and six others, the risk of war between Iran and the U.S.A. (which will inevitably include British troops) is greatly increasing.
ALL MEMBERS AND SUPPORTERS IN THE LONDON AREA are invited to join us for a demonstration at Downing Street this Tuesday 7 January at 6pm.
We urge all members and supporters of VFP UK to take action to demand a de-escalation of violence and accountability for the dangerous actions of the U.S.A. government.
We also remind all serving members of the Armed Forces that they have a right to refuse to obey illegal and immoral orders.
British Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab claims that the UK is trying to de-escalate tensions in Iran in order to avoid a war. On the other hand, he also said the UK understands the position the US were in and has described Major General Soleimani as a ‘regional menace’ and that “The US has a right to exercise self-defence”.
We, as veterans, know that war is not the solution to the problems we face in the 21st century. In fact, prior to the invasion of Iraq in 2003, it was already known that warfare would lead to countless civilian deaths, and increase international tensions and “terrorism”. The reality is – war is terrorism!
We would like our members to:
- Organise in their regional groups to condemn the US actions and urge our government to do the same;
- Write to your local MP’s and Newspapers;
- If you write a letter, please forward a copy of it to the Policy Group for distribution amongst our members;
- Speak at and/or attend local rallies or public events;
- Contact your Regional Coordinator or Policy Group members if you have ideas or would like to get involved.
Peace is the answer!